Improving life skills increases independence
The Heart of Illinois United Way is focused on ensuring individuals and families achieve financial stability. To ensure people can thrive, our work focuses on providing opportunities to get them on their feet again and helping during emergencies and crises.
United Way funds distributed to the Financial Stability Impact Area support programs focused on independent living and self-sufficiency, including:
- Crisis and Disaster Services
- Employment Services
- Life Skills Education
- Legal Support
United Way funded financial stability programs provide . . .
- Basic needs for food, shelter and clothing
- Work-force skills that improve employability
- Emergency relief that helps in times of need
- Legal assistance to address family crises
Here are just a few ways Heart of Illinois United Way funded programs are positively impacting financial stability in central Illinois:
- 98% of homeless individuals and families assisted by United Way funded homelessness prevention programs connected to benefits that helped them obtain housing
- 95% of adults who successfully completed a United Way funded job training or coaching programs improved their employment readiness
- 72% of adults who completed United Way funded employment readiness programs earned more than minimum wage or maintained full-time employment
- 63% of adults who participated in United Way funded financial management programs reduced debt, improved credit scores, and increased savings and assets
- 96% of adults who participated in United Way funded life-skills programs maximized their independence
- 95% of low-income adults who participated in United Way funded housing assistance programs improved their safety and wellness to maximize their independence by utilizing community resources
Acts of Kindness Change Lives
A stable home is key to wellness, safety, financial stability and independence. Phoenix Community Development Services provides supportive housing that empowers residents to increase independence, improve quality of life, and maintain housing on a permanent basis. Phoenix CDS volunteers Grant Dodds and David McGinty serve hot meals every Friday at New Hope Apartments. With a total of more than 150 units, including 84 units at New Hope, Phoenix CDS is the largest provider of supportive housing for homeless veterans, individuals and families in the area. Supportive housing like that offered by Phoenix CDS is the most cost effective way to end homelessness and reduce its related costs including healthcare, unemployment, institutionalization and emergency services.
Welcome Families Home
Having a stable home provides a sense of security and support for a family and is one of the most basic requirements of wellbeing and financial stability. Through Habitat for Humanity Greater Peoria Area, families have the opportunity to create a stable, long-term home environment and earn the pride of home ownership. By welcoming families to a new home, Habitat provides a sense of security, a place for friends and family to visit, and a base from which parents and children can engage with their community and have access to quality education.
Working with a Job Coach is the Perfect Fit
Beginning in childhood, persons with developmental disabilities are affected by physical or intellectual impairments that impact day-to-day functioning throughout a person’s lifetime resulting in lower incomes, higher unemployment rates, and fewer housing options. The Heart of Illinois United Way invests more than $232,000 annually in programs that provide job training and coaching, integrate individuals into the community, and provide safe housing through group homes and independent living apartments.
Dan, a client at EP!C’s Community Job Placement program, has been employed at Anytime Fitness since 2015. Along with the support of his job coach, Russell, Dan helps clean equipment and serves as the fitness center’s mascot outside of the store and at special events. Friendly and loving to interact with customers, Dan is working towards being as independent as possible.
For a complete list of United Way Funded Financial Stability-Related programs, click here.
United Way Financial Stability Programs at Work
To see United Way funded financial stability programs at work visit our YouTube channel.