The Heart of Illinois United Way‘s Community Impact Fund is the shortest distance between your charitable contribution and a stronger, safer and healthier community. When you choose to give to the United Way, your gift impacts lives throughout central Illinois.
The Heart of Illinois United Way funds more than 80 programs focusing on these key issues:
Quality education helps youth and adults achieve their full potential; key programs include pre-k literacy, tutoring, mentoring, special education, college and career counseling, and adult literacy.
Financial Stability Programs
Financial stability promotes independence; key programs include basic human needs such as food, shelter and clothing, legal support, employment assistance and life-skills education.
Prevention, intervention and education lead to health and wellness; key programs include community clinics, physical fitness, nutrition counseling, dental and vision care, and therapy.
Heart of Illinois United Way’s Grant Evaluation Process
The Heart of Illinois United Way is dedicated to ensuring the people in our communities have access to the education, financial stability and health programs they need.
- July 1, 2021-June 30, 2022 marks the first year of a three-year grant funding cycle addressing education, financial stability or health needs.
- Funding is awarded based on need, the availability of funds and evaluation/measurement of the community outcomes achieved by the program(s). Funding recommendations were presented to the HOIUW Board of Directors for approval at the May 2021 meeting.
- Approximately 100 volunteers from diverse segments of central Illinois evaluate agency programs and outcomes through our competitive grant process. Click here to see who serves on our allocation panels.
Heart of Illinois United Way Electronic Grant and Reporting System
Nonprofit agencies have to be an approved as a partner agency by Heart of Illinois United Way’s Board of Directors before they are allowed to compete for grants and access our electronic system. Please see application process below. If you are a current partner agency and need to obtain a Web User ID or need additional information about grants.hoiunitedway.org, please contact Nicole Wilson, VP of Community Investment, at 309-674-5181, ext. 1230 or . For our partner agencies, the following reference materials are provided for system technical assistance:
- Impact Area Outcomes and Indicators (PDF)
- CIP Reporting Summary and Instructions (PDF)
- CIP Writing Session from December 2022 (PDF)
Agencies Seeking Heart of Illinois United Way Membership / Partnership
For central Illinois 501(C)3 nonprofits seeking partnership into the Heart of Illinois United Way family of agencies, please download the New Partner Agency Application below.
Nonprofit agencies have to be an approved Heart of Illinois United Way agency before they are allowed to compete for grants. By reviewing the guidelines (above), you can learn how your nonprofit will be reviewed.
Please note: Applications for new partner agency status can be submitted between January through May of each year. If the application is accepted, partner agency status would be effective as of July 1st.
For additional information please send an email to Nicole Wilson, Vice President of Community Investment, at .
- New Partner Agency Scoring Rubric (PDF)
- New Partner Agency Application (MS Word)